Bath Freight Shed
The Bath Freight Shed was build in 1890 as a warehouse adjacent to the Bath ferry terminal. Before 1927 there was no bridge across the Kennebec in this area, and goods and people were transferred by ferry between the railroads on both sides.
By 2010 the building was in very bad condition with a leaking roof and holes in the walls and floor. Two things then happened: the Bath Freight Shed Alliance was formed to preserve and use the building, and Maine’s First Ship Shallop Project was housed in the freight shed. In 2011 the keel of the Virginia was laid outside the freight shed and a boat shed built around it.
In the next few years a number of improvements were made to the freight shed including a new roof, electrical work, lighting, and a new floor. This made it a usable space for public dinners and weddings. Beginning in 2013 the Bath Farmers Market winter market is held in the freight shed from November to April.
In 2017 the Jane Stevens Visitor Center was added and the Bath Freight Shed Alliance and Maine’s First Ship merged.
We continue to make improvements to the freight shed including new windows and doors, and a deck on the river side. Much of the rigging for Virginia was built in the freight shed, and the spars and masts have been shaped in the adjacent boat yard.
In the summer, half of the freight shed is available for community events, and for private rentals. 2020 has been a challenging year due to the global pandemic, and we have not been able to make the freight shed available for private events.
The Bath Freight Shed is currently unavailable for rental. The Visitor Center is open but with limits on the number of visitors, and exhibits spread out for social distancing.